Thursday, June 01, 2006

My space, your space, we all have a place on MySpace.

I admit, I'm a little late in the game, but I finally ventured over to the place called MySpace and checked it out.

I had heard all about the controversy regarding whether or not to allow kids to have MySpace accounts, and all that. But I never thought that actual adults may have accounts there too. Until, that is, I found out one of my favorite bloggers has an account. So of course, being a nosy woman, I went over to see her page. Or profile, or whatever the heck they call them.

And to my surprise (!) one of her "friends" was a girl I went to high school with. Not someone I knew well, but someone I did know all the same. That got me thinking - who else do I know in MySpace?

Apparently, I know several people. I looked up my high school, and found quite a few that I knew. And, being nosy again, I went to their pages (or profiles, whatever.) Some of them keep blogs on there, some have pictures posted, and most of them have a running dialog on there. So I actually learned quite a bit about what a lot of them are up to. (And bonus! I now feel like a creepy stalker!) Most of the people even have pictures that you can see, but only if you're a member.

So here's my dilemma. Well, it's not really a dilemma, but just, well, a thought. Should I sign up for MySpace? To do what, you ask? Well, to see their pictures (I'm nosey, remember?) And maybe catch up with a few people. But then I'm thinking, do I really want to catch up with them? Become computer friends? Because I have a hard enough time keeping up with my current friends, and, really, what makes me think I can do it with more. I'm not really a chat on the phone type of person. I do email though (occasionally.)

What am I going to do? I think I'm going to skip MySpace for now. I don't really know if I want to find and be found. But you? You should totally check it out and see if there is anyone you know in there. And tell me if you join. Because I will - if you do it first. (Quit bawking at me - I am not chicken!)

No comments: