Tuesday, June 06, 2006

He's his own Individual, and they both are getting big.

My son got an award on Monday. It was for Individuality. Yeah. Not for anything normal like Most Caring, Friendliest, or even Best Smile (I think he'd win all of those!) It was for Individuality. I totally think they made that one up just for him. But? I. Am. Proud. He's such a unique individual, and oh so special. I'm thinking of framing it so that when he hits puberty and is lamenting the fact that he's not really like the other children, I can show it to him and tell him how wonderful it is that he was given an award for being an individual. Or maybe that'll just make him roll his eyes at me and say, "God mom, you're such a dork." Eh, I still might frame it.

I can't believe he will be out of Kindergarten as of Thursday. And my daughter will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. It is really just amazing to me how they are getting to be older and yet I still see them as little. Then, all of a sudden, I will look at them and see big kids. It's like, wow, when did you get big? Sometimes it's the activity they are doing (like reading!) or sometimes it's the way they handle themselves that brings their physical and emotional growth to my attention. But sometimes it's not what they do that shocks me, it's just their sheer size. And I don't notice it until they stand next to me and their heads reach past my elbows. Or when my daughter puts her feet next to mine and I notice that her feet are not that much smaller than mine. And sometimes, it's the things they say. Like saying Mom instead of Mommy.

And then, just when you think they've outgrown the little child phase that has been so much a part of your life, they want to crawl into your lap and cuddle. That (the cuddling) is what I love.

No comments: