Wednesday, August 02, 2006

TMI

Somewhere along the way, my husband and I decided that we would make an effort to not have our children worry about money. As in, we would not ever let them be a part of the 'we don't have enough money for this or that so that's why you can't have that/go there, etc...'

Now, we are not dirt poor (although it feels that way sometimes) and we are not filthy rich either. We live a comfortable life in a nice house in a nice neighborhood and have a nice car. Nothing too big, nor too extravagant, but just, well, nice.

But in this world there comes the dreaded 'unexpected expenses' and we don't have a wad of money lying around to use for such things. We just live life with the 'hope it doesn't get too bad' attitude. And so far, although it has been bad at times, it's never been 'too bad'. We've made it through all sorts of situations that could have been financially and emotionally devistating, yet through some weird twist of fate (and a lot of wishing and hoping,) it never ruined us (financially or emotionally.)

This is one of those times when we are hit with a few 'unexpected expenses'. And because of said expenses, I have had to stop letting the kids go with a babysitter twice a week. (And I know some of you are going, no big deal!) To me, however, it is a big deal. The kids Loved (with a capital L) going with Little T and his mom. They went to the movies, the library, the pool, and to great playgrounds. They looked forward to time away from the little ones I babysit, and time to do big kid stuff.

I had to dissapoint them, and it makes me sad.

(Because I like to spoil them and make them happy. That makes me happy.)

My daughter asked me today why they weren't going with Little T and his mom. I gave her some fluff answer about it being close to the end of the summer and we had to work on reading and other pre-school kind of things. I could tell by the look she gave me that she really didn't buy my answer. Thank goodness she didn't ask any more questions, though, because the next words out of my mouth would have been, "Because we can't afford it right now!"

And that, that, my friends, would have gone against everything my husband and I agreed upon.

(And my husband is of the firm belief that talking about this is sharing too much information, so, um, let's not talk about it anymore. Okay? Okay.)

No comments: