Tuesday, August 29, 2006

For a friend I missed very much.

U2 - One



I had Joshua Tree on vinyl. That was my first exposure to U2. And it was love at first listen. I listened to them so much, you would have thought I would grow tired of it all. But I never did. In high school, I went to see them in concert (along with Stereo MC's) in England. It was my first concert ever. And the music was so good.

I love U2. My husband, however, hates them. It's hard for me to believe I married a man who can't listen to this song, or any of their others, without cringing. But that's okay, I love him anyway. (And I hate Faster Pussycat, so we're even.) (Although you don't really hear Faster Pussycat on the radio much, so maybe we're not so even after all.)

This song reminds me of a time in my life when I felt very lonely. I was missing someone who had moved away, and I spent an excessive amount of time alone in my dorm room playing this song over and over again. (Thank goodness I'm not in high school anymore, and I no longer have such a dramatic side. Although I suspect my daughter may be even worse than I was, as she already has such a flair for the dramatics. And that frightens me very, very much.)

No comments: