Friday, July 21, 2006

She's not bossy, and I bought crackers.

This morning:

Me: "You sure are being a good friend this morning, (daughter's name)"

Daughter: "Yeah. I'm not being bossy at all today. I'm only bossy sometimes. A lot."

Me: *chuckle*

Daughter: "Okay, here's what we're going to do...."

And the bossiness began. But for a few moments, a few blessed moments, she was being a good friend to the 3 year old I babysit. (I really need to come up with pseudonyms for these kids!) She was helping him get Hungry, Hungry Hippos set up and even thought of a solution to the problem of keeping the little balls away from the baby. (She set up a pop-up house and had him play the game in there while she and the baby played outside the house.)

----------------------

Last night I went grocery shopping for the second time this week. It seems like I am doomed to go at least twice a week no matter what I stock up on the first time around.

This time it was laundry detergent that I this-close to running out of. And as we all know, running out of laundry detergent is like daring fate not to take a knock at you. If you run out of detergent, and figure you'll just go to the store tomorrow because you've got plenty of clean clothes, then of course your children will spill an entire glass of grape juice on their white shirts. Never fails. Anyway, I digress...

I went to the store and got the detergent. Also, I picked up several other things we were in need of - including those orange peanut butter crackers. You know, the cheese crackers with peanut butter in the middle. Honestly, I had never eaten them in my life until I moved down here. Apparently, they are a food staple where my husband is from. They call them "nabs". (Don't ask me why, I couldn't explain it to you, but that's just the way it is.) I find them handy for when you don't have time to make a meal, and you need something portable and quick. (I'm not going to tell you how many times I've eaten them in place of something nutritious.) Oh boy... digressing again.

I picked up the biggest package of crackers I could find, patting myself on the back for making such a wise decision in getting the extra-large-family-size. (We're an extra-large-family-size kind of family.) And even though my husband complained that they weren't Lance, I was still proud of my purchase.

So imagine my surprise, when last night I opened a package to have as a snack, and found that instead of peanut butter-y goodness inside the neon orange cracker, there was cheese. At least, that's what the package called that light orange squishy goo inside the cracker. I bought the damned cheese crackers filled with cheddar cheese instead of the cheese crackers filled with peanut butter - *s-word*.

And what did I do? What any other person who hated those darned cheese-filled crackers and was faced with a serious cracker-buying error would do - I ate them.

Hey, I was hungry. What did you expect?

No comments: