Saturday, April 08, 2006

Things that go bump in the night.

Last night, my son comes barreling into my room, and says:

Son: Can you keep the racket down? I'm trying to sleep.

Me: (confused) What? I was asleep too... What's going on?

Son: Keep the racket down, I'm sleeping!

Me: What racket? (blinking furiously while trying to figure out what the hell he's talking about)

Son: (sounding very frustrated) The racket!

Me: What racket?!?

Son: It's (daughter's name), her racket.

Me: What's wrong with her? What's she doing?

Son: Crying! Can you stop her crying, I'm trying to sleep! (goes into his room in a huff and gets back into bed)

Me: You could have just told me she was crying, it would have saved us a lot of yelling and confusion!

Son: Well, she's crying.

So I check on my daughter and found out that she was crying because her dad wasn't here when she went to bed, and she didn't get her nightly singing of the Itsy Bitsy Spider. So I go wake my husband up because, heck, why not make sure the whole family is awake at 2:30 am! I tuck my son back into bed, my daughter gets her song, and then I can't get back to sleep.

After finally getting back into a peaceful sleep, my son appears at my bedside sometime between 2:30 am and any real waking time. He says:

Son: Mom, I have a question to ask you.

Me: What is it?

Son: (pause) I love you very much.

Me: I love you too

He then gives me a kiss, and walks himself back into his room, and goes back to bed all by himself. (I didn't have to tuck him in or anything!) And I totally forgave him for waking me up again. He's a sweet boy, that son of mine.

No comments: