Monday, April 24, 2006

So THAT'S what they said!

Ya'll, I have discovered the best thing. It has totally changed television watching for me. I never used to watch much, but I now find myself surfing the channels, eagerly seeking mumbling people. Mumbling, you ask? Yes, mumbling. Because I have discovered CLOSED CAPTIONING. Yeah, yeah, I know it's been around for a while. I'm a little late in the game. But I never realized I could access it so easily on my television (if you're calling me retarded, shut up now!)

When my husband and I rent movies to watch after the kids go to bed, we watch them with subtitles. Most of the movies we watch have quiet moments of dialogue, and then go to ear-piercingly loud action scenes in a heartbeat. And since we're watching them while the kids are asleep, we have to keep it turned down low. (Those kids, they suck all the fun out of things sometimes.) The subtitles allow us to know what they are saying. And my husband mostly allows it because he's sick of me saying, "What did they say?" (Some of those actors just do not enunciate very well.)

And now, now, I can watch television with the same benefits. Who knew? (The hard of hearing, of course, but who else?) Another wonderful benefit: music videos with the words! The words to songs, people! The words to songs on MTV, VH1, MTV2, VH1 Classics, Fuse... Etc. My husband and I spent a great deal of time yesterday watching videos we don't normally watch, just to read what they are saying. That is so cool! (Ha, well, cool to me. I lead a boring life.)

I now know what the heck Chris Cornell is saying. And how many people can say that? Yeah, thought so, suckers! Closed captioning, all of you should turn it on! (Apparently, it's just as simple as pushing the arrow to yes on your TV. Huh.)

No comments: