Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Lucky (?)

We live in a place that has a lot of affluent people. A lot of them. Much to my dismay, I have fallen into a how do they do it? rut and have found myself wondering how I, too, can have as much as they do.

I am not the type of person who covets others' things (usually.) I am not defined by what I have and what I can show others. I don't need to know that my purse, for example, is better that yours, or that my vehicle is the top of the line. But sometimes, just sometimes, I drool at the thought of having things. Or, more precisely, having the money to just go buy the things I want without giving it a second thought.

Now I know that there are very few people who can do such a thing - go buy what they want - without giving it at least some thought. They may have more money than I do, but nobody, save a precious few, has a seemingly unlimited supply of money at their disposal. But, man, those people with the four car garages and the ability to have a full time house cleaner really do have me envious.

Then I remember that I have things other people may desire too. Once upon a time, I would have driven by my house and lusted; I would have wondered what I had to do to get things like what I have now. Sometimes I have to take a step backwards and remind myself that its all a matter of perception. Because while I mourn the loss of the bigger house with the separate playroom and office and den and living room and big garage and everything that we lost when we moved here - darn you higher cost of living and my desire to downsize! - I am very lucky to have all the things I do have.

Also, I am very lucky for the things I do not have, including a high mortgage payment, a huge car payment, etc...

But still, you may have remind me how lucky I am when I find myself daydreaming about a house cleaner and a huge garage, among other things. Would you please? Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

O.K.
I look at your life and think just how much more material things you have that I didn't have at the same age. AND just how much better a family life you enjoy.
Does my heart good to know that my daughter really does have it better than I did.

sara said...

gotta love dad! =)