Friday, December 15, 2006

I'm dangerous with a library card.

Early one weekend morning, in a fit of boredom and misery, I ordered some books from the library. You see, I have a couple of favorite authors, and there were a few books from one in particular that I hadn't read yet. She writes in a series, and I wanted to read the missing books so I could 'fill in the blanks', if you will. (And, yes, I will.)

I found out how easy it was to put a request in for a book and have it delivered to your local library from other parts of the county. It was very easy. And that is how it came to be that I ordered a whole sh*tload of books.

There were many I hadn't read. And I kind of figured that I would put the request in, and the books would trickle in from parts unknown, giving me a book or two a week. That makes sense, right? Because other people would have some checked out, and some would be in and some out - giving me good selection to last a month or more. But, holy heck, my reasoning must have been flawed.

The library called me to tell me a few of the books I had ordered had come in. So I made my dear, dear book-hating husband* take time out of his Saturday to drive us to the library. (We were already out, so I figured we would just stop by. He hated the idea.) And you can just imagine my surprise when the librarian emerged from the back room with a stack of books. And then, then, she went back for more. People, I got stares from passers-by when I emerged from the library carrying what is, in fact, a whole sh*tload of books!

So I have a stack of books to read. And while I'm enjoying it and reading my little heart out, I'm a little afraid I won't have them all read by the time they are due. And I'll feel like I've got some sort of book monopoly going on if I renew them. And I'm also afraid that I won't remember to bring them back on time, and at $.10 a day, per book, I could be very much in debt to my local library.

This is where my dear, dear husband interjects with, I knew those darn books would be trouble.


*He doesn't hate books per se, he just hates all the time I like to spend reading. Which may or may not be all my time. I'm not admitting to anything here, folks.

3 comments:

sara said...

we've been on quite the library kick lately. i LOVE reading, but i am having the hardest time....i can't stop thinking of who had the book before me and it totally grosses me out. i almost want to wear rubber gloves and a face mask when i read them. am i being paranoid??? the last book i checked out had CRUMBS in multiple pages, smelled of smoke and had splotches of spaghetti sauce (that's what i'm telling myself it was). NASTY. hopefully it's just my library and not yours!!! ;)

E said...

well...um... I've never really thought about who has had the book before me. Now, though, I'll be reading with a bottle of hand sanitizer very close by. So thanks (!) for all the mental images and the new thing to be all OCD about! ;)

sara said...

hey, what are friends for??? ;)