Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Is tying shoes back-breaking labor?


Lately I've been overcome with an inexplicable desire to sleep. And sleep, and sleep, and sleep. But not in a depressed, I'm going to hide in my bed because I can't face the world kind of way, but more because I'm just plain exhausted at the end of the day and morning always comes an hour or two too early. It's not a dull kind of lethargy, it's a bone weary tired. The kind you get after a long day of physical work. But I'm not engaging in any back-breaking physical labor.

My husband is getting very frustrated by my desire to go to bed immediately after the children. He wants me to stay awake and interact. He wants to watch a little TV together, have a little late night snack together. He's been very vocal in telling anyone, once the subject of sleep comes up, about how I'm in bad before the sun even sets. He always says it with tone of voice that says, can you believe it? And I always shrug and say I've always been an early to bed kind of gal.

But really, I'm starting to wonder why I've been getting so exhausted. I know the whole dynamics of energy and rest, and that if you use a lot of energy you will need a lot of rest. And I also am very aware of the fact that being constantly on (and vigilant) with children all day takes a lot of energy, to say the least. But I didn't get this tired before. I seem to remember only getting very cranky by the time the end of the day rolled around last year, but I do not remember being so tired that I collapsed into bed. This year, however, I am tired.

I'm not really sure if I have a whole point in telling you this. There's not a story to regale in any of this . I am just confounded by my fatigue, and I thought I'd share.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me, too! I am tired,too! My friend teases me and says I have Chronic Fatigue Syndroma -- which is really a "disease," but seems to me like a made-up one.
Seriously though, I think I am too young to be so exhausted. I don't get much sleep, but I never did and I used to manage just fine. I hfound out I have thyroid problems, so that surely contributes...have you had your thyroid checked? Google hypothyroidism and see if you notice any of the other symptoms.

sara said...

it's because you are OLD!!!! ha ha

just kidding.....the kids seriously drain all the life out of you!!! and just think, it's almost summer vacation.....

LOVEYA!!!!!!!!!

E said...

you know, I'm beginning to think it's age related - no lie - because it seems like nothing works quite as efficiently or quickly anymore. And I don't mean that like I would if I was 60, but being 32 is a little different than being 22...or maybe I'll just blame it on the kids (like I do everything else!)

Anonymous said...

One more idea, have you had a checkup lately? Something might be out of whack and that can throw you for a loop, especially when you are as busy as you are!